Saturday 16 March 2013

What it means Being Humane ?


Yesterday when I was on my way back home , suddenly I heard the siren of Fire Engine. Within a second it came  from nowhere and got struck in the peak hour Bangalore Traffic. I was behind that praying for the well being of people who were a midst the fire. The Road was a narrow one and no vehicles could leave way for the Fire engine. Signal was not turning to green and the fire engine was standing with the loud siren.

In the Left side of that narrow road there is a Bus Stand of a Private Bus company , where easily some 3 to 4 cars and few two wheeler can enter that Depot. At least if 2 cars and some two wheeler had entered there for 2 minutes the fire engine would have gone forward to the other end of the road with that space. No one bothered.Seriously no one bothered.

It was a loud blow when I saw people in two wheeler, trying to overtake each others without thinking that they could leave way for the Fire Engine. It was Selfish to the core. I did not see a pinch of humanity with them. I felt ashamed. Meanwhile the signal turned green it seems and the vehicles were moving forward. That fire engine also moved … when it neared that Depot area a huge private bus GLIDED from the depot and entered this narrow road. It blocked half traffic including the fire engine.

It was disconcerting. I felt seriously offended. Can’t that bus wait for a second? Have Indians turned so punctual these days? Was that a Robot which was seated as a Driver in that Private Bus ? No. It was a Man. An animal which has six senses. Did he needed 7th sense for being little sensible to the situation?

Behind the Private bus, went this fire engine. I was on my way. But my mind underwent a subtle change. I was not able to analyze where it went wrong? When I reached home I was like Ambi in Anniyan. (Hell, I did not turn Anniyan.)
“Logathla Yaarukkum Erakame Illai
Manidhabimanam Kaatradhuku kooda money kekra
Shri Hari Ivaa ellam naraguthuku dhaan poganum”         I was whining.

I could not take this as a easy or a normal thing. I just opened the Internet. Not Anniyan website. But Online Oxford dictionary and typed the word Human being.
It was like this:

Human Being- a man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance.

I was not fine with the above definition. I searched in World web dictionary. It read
Human being- Any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage.

When I found that both gave a similar definition, I was surprised. I saw the meaning for the word humanity- It read the quality of being Humane.


Disappointingly I closed my laptop. So ? A species different from other animals having superior intelligence (Intelligence can never be misunderstood for Kindness) and having erect carriage is what makes a man. If we fulfill these conditions we are human being.
Kindness has become an alien to Human beings.

I still wonder what it means being humane!!!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

come on shweth!!! we need one anniyan....

Unknown said...

Pitiable one:(:( Even Chennai is like this. I experienced a similar situation here in Chennai but it was not a fire engine, it was an ambulance:(:(

Unknown said...

Shwetha, changes can happen on collective people and not by single person...hence we need to take responsibility and try to build the community which has self discipline, Social awareness etc...let us all youngsters come together and work towards that...cheers...