Wednesday 20 February 2013

Communication Skills


Namaste!
Aap ka Dhin Shubh Ho !

No No… this is not a Hindi Post. I’ve surfed through Google to get these lines.
Regrettably I do not know Hindi and this post is about the war between me and Hindi.
Till today I’ve been defeated but sure one day I’ll succeed in learning it. (I am inspired by Ghazini Mohammed…hey!!! I remember my 4th standard history:-))

Can you believe this? I’ve passed Prathmic Exam. That’s a big tale why I did not study further. To cut short, On the day of exam I wailed to my aunty that I won’t take up exams. I sobbed , I pleaded , I begged but everything went in vain.  She convinced me saying
 “ Don’t cry darling! See Hindi is very easy. You have attended classes and prepared for this exam all these days na? Last minute you should not step back.You just write the exam and don’t worry about the result. Neither me nor your mother would scold if you fail. But I know you’ll pass out. Anyhow I guarantee that you won’t be scolded even if you don’t succeed in this exam”

In between sobs I manage to say “Can I take up next attempt Ma?”(somehow i wanted to escape)

My aunty was perplexed when I asked so. Again she repeated all the lines in the same rhythm. This time added one more line.” You see as I said Hindi is easy. In most of the cases the answer to the fill in the blanks, true or false and all will be in other questions. Did you get me? The sentence they use to make questions would often give you the answers for one mark questions. You can easily score.Don’t give up.Go! Take bath1 Get ready!” and no more I could speak. But I stored the little information she gave in my mind.

I applied the strategy of my aunty in exam and the result came.
Thanks to my aunt. I passed the exam in second class to my own astonishment. Then me and my sister started to attend classes to madhyama. God! that was tough. I could not even remember a single essay. (Remember? I struggled for one word answers in previous exam. Now how can I cope with essays?)
The teacher used to ask questions from previous day lesson. When I answer she would grumble and say “Should place your Brain next to Visweshwar Ji’s Brain! You are a unique piece”.

Your Brain should be placed next to Dr.RadhaKrishnan’s Brain. You are a rare species my mind voice would say. Because of her I developed an aversion to Madhyama rather for Hindi. I stopped attending classes and every effort of my mother failed when she wanted to send me to Hindi Class. Gradually she left after becoming tired. Till today I have my Madhyama Books. It has been more than 10 years today.

Lately some Repair work was being done in our house and the workers there were North Indians. My aunty and my father know Hindi and they were the persons appointed for communicating with them. One day it happened that my aunt went out somewhere and my father called from his shop. He said that he has sent some cakes and puffs to the workmen through my mother. He also insisted me to stop them till my mom comes, as it was time for them to leave from work.

I said “Papa, aunty has gone out and I do not know Hindi. How will I ask them to wait?” My father slowly  over phone taught me in Hindi  as how should I ask them to wait.
I repeated and practiced that sentence and went out to pour whatever I learnt to the workman. When I reached the door I don’t remember whether I saw something scary or heard some scary noise but I forgot that sentence. They already started packing things and were about to leave. Almost everyone had left and only one was there. I could not go back and call my father to ask the sentence. I had no time for that. But I have to stop him atleast(the only person left).

He doesn't know Tamizh or English and I don’t know Hindi. But at that moment I had to ask him to wait somehow . I remembered all the lessons of Prathmic. I remembered various poems, lings, vachans everything I learnt long back. With all the knowledge I had in Hindi I called that man and said
“ Mera Matha Puffs Cake Aatha –Wait--5 mins “

Perhaps, he could not laugh out loud so he managed a smile and waited for my mother. I just rushed inside and jumped with joy. At last I succeeded in speaking Hindi.

You know what? Language is just a way to communicate. The purpose of communication is to reach the receiver. My purpose got solved. I have communicated to him and he understood that too. I jumped again thinking my brilliance and smartness. (I did not have collar to rise)

Few minutes later my brother came from college. I asked him whether the workman was waiting. I felt like hitting my brother at his head with what ever tool I get at that moment when he replied
“Yes. He was loitering in front of our house. I asked him to move and he left “

All my ego and pride shattered when I came to know that my brother had not even spoke to him in Hindi. He just waved his hand signaling him to move and that workmen understood and left. Hmmm…. His communication was even much simple.

Dhanyavadh!! :-P


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha.. Ha.. "Mera Matha Puffs, Cakes Aatha –Wait-5 mins"wat a hindi madam ji... plz wear man shirt n raise ur collar!!! :-D i knw how much difficult 2 convey our mge in HINDI!!!